Austin Office | Midland Office | Georgetown Office

Free Consultationsphone512-474-2222

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Contact Us
Hablamos Español

What Should I Do If I Was Served with a Protection Order on False Accusations?

Posted on in

Austin, TX Criminal Defense LawyerBeing served with a protection order or restraining order can be a shocking experience. Often, restraining orders are issued when someone has been accused of domestic assault or another form of family violence against a current or former romantic partner, child, family member, or household member. The protection order may require the subject to relinquish possession of firearms, attend a domestic violence prevention program, and even prohibit the subject from entering his or her own home. If you have been served with a protection order in Texas, it is crucial that you understand your rights and obligations under the law.

What is a Protection Order?

A protection order is intended to protect victims of abuse and stalking against further mistreatment. However, it is possible for someone who has been falsely accused of domestic violence to find themselves the subject of a protection order.

Through a protection order (PO), a judge may:

  • Order you to stay a certain distance away from the petitioner (the person who asked for the protection order) and the petitioner’s children – even if the children are also your children

  • Prohibit you from being within a certain distance of the petitioner’s home, workplace, or school – even if you share a home with the petitioner

  • Order you to surrender your firearms

  • Require you to attend anger management, substance abuse, or family violence prevention classes

  • Require you to submit to a drug test

  • Demand payment of child support

What Happens If You Do Not Follow the Protection Order?

If the petitioner has obtained a protection order against you without justification, you may understandably be angered. However, it is important to follow the provisions set forth in the protection order even if you do not agree with the reasons. Violating a protection order can result in immediate arrest and criminal charges. You could be fined up to $4,000 and sentenced to up to one year in jail for violating any of the terms in the protection order. In some circumstances, violating a protection order can lead to 2-10 years in prison.

Contact an Austin Defense Lawyer for Help Right Away

If you have been accused of family violence, assault, a crime against a child, or another violent offense, you may be served with a protection order. Follow the terms of the order and contact a Midland Texas criminal defense attorney from Morales Law Office, Attorneys at Law, PLLC. Our attorneys can help you assert your rights and defend you against the charges you face. Call 512-474-2222 for a free, confidential consultation.


Back to Top