Austin Office | Midland Office | Georgetown Office

Free Consultationsphone512-474-2222

Contact Our Firm

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Name *
Email *
Phone *
How would you prefer to be contacted?
No Preference
Briefly describe your legal issue. *

DisclaimerThe use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read and understand the Disclaimer and Privacy Policy.

Contact Us
Hablamos EspaƱol

Child Visitation Lawyers in Austin, TX

Central Texas Child Possession Attorneys

Travis County Lawyers for Parenting Time Access

Following a divorce or breakup, you could face significant challenges as you look to maintain a meaningful, productive relationship with your child or children. New living arrangements and financial concerns may make connecting with your child much more difficult than it once was. If you do not take proactive steps to safeguard your rights to visitation with your child, both you and your child could suffer as a result.

The skilled family law team at Morales Law Office, Attorneys at Law, PLLC. understands what is at stake when divorced or unmarried parents are at odds over visitation and access to their children. We also believe that active participation by both parents is usually in a child's best interest when the parents are no longer together. If you are facing a potential dispute regarding your visitation rights or those of your former partner, our lawyers can help you develop a workable resolution.

Williamson County Counsel for Parents Facing Possession Issues

Texas law presumes that the best custody (conservatorship) arrangement after a divorce or breakup of unmarried parents is one that involves joint managing conservatorship. When both parents are granted joint managing conservatorship, sometimes known as "joint custody," the parents are expected to put together a plan that specifies their respective responsibilities and rights, including a schedule for possession of the child—more commonly referred to as "visitation." Such a schedule should be designed to serve the best interests of the child while taking into account the needs and other obligations of each parent.

Sometimes, however, the court will grant managing conservatorship to just one parent. When this happens, the other parent is named a possessory conservator, unless the court finds that doing so would conflict with the child's best interests. A parent who is a possessory conservator has reasonable rights to visitation with the child and is expected to care for the child properly while the child is with him or her.

Setting Up a Visitation Schedule

There are several options for determining a visitation schedule for a possessory conservator parent. For example, the Texas Family Code provides a Standard Possession Order for parents who live 100 miles or less apart from one another and a second Standard Possession Order for parents who live more than 100 miles apart. These standard orders typically allow the non-custodial parent to have parenting time every other weekend and during breaks from school, with additional weekly parenting time available to parents who live closer to their children.

It is important to keep in mind that the court is likely to enter a Standard Possession Order only if you and your child's other parent cannot reach an alternate agreement. The attorneys at Morales Law Office, Attorneys at Law, PLLC. understand that a standard order may not be the best option for your unique situation, and we will work with you to develop a schedule that addresses the needs of everyone involved. We will help you cooperate with your child's other parent, as appropriate, in creating a workable visitation plan that gives you regular access to your child. If necessary, we will also work to show the court that your proposed plan will ultimately serve your child's best interests.

Schedule a Free Consultation Today

If you would like to learn more about the laws in Texas that address child visitation and possession, contact our office. Call 512-474-2222 or 432-570-1499 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation and case review with a member of our team today. Our family law attorneys serve clients in Austin, Midland, Odessa, Georgetown, Travis County, Williamson County, Ector County, Midland County, Hays County, and the surrounding communities. Hablamos Español.

Back to Top